Differential Treatment of the Three Types of
Parental Alienation Syndrome
MILD MODERATE SEVERE Legal Approaches Court ruling that primary custody shall remain with the alienating parent. Plan A
- Court ruling that primary custody shall remain with the alienating parent.
- Court appointment of PAS therapist.
- House arrest
- Court ruling that primary custody shall be transferred to the alienated parent.
- Extremely restricted visitation by the alienating parent, under supervision if necessary, to prevent indoctrination.
- Court-ordered transfer of primary custody to the alienated parent (in most cases).
- Court-ordered transitional site program.
Psychotherapeutic Approaches None usually necessary Plan A
Treatment by a court-appointed PAS therapist
Monitored transitional site program
Therapist-monitored transitional site program
Richard A. Gardner, M.D.