Toronto Star

October 20, 1999

Brother's call led to murder suspects

Man collected reward in case involving officer's death

By Donovan Vincent
Toronto Star Staff Reporter

Mary Barbara Taylor's half-brother got $1,000 from Crime Stoppers for giving police information that led to her arrest and that of her lover in the slaying of Detective Constable William Hancox.

The second-degree murder trial of Taylor, 31, and her lover Elaine Rose Cece, 41, heard yesterday from Dan Herreman, 28, who admitted getting the money for information he gave investigators probing the Aug. 4, 1998, slaying.

But Herreman, who lives on social assistance, was accused by Cece's lawyer, Marshall Sack, of turning in his sister for profit.

The lawyer said Herreman had a ``moral dilemma that was solved'' by money. ``It's not beneath you to take money for turning your sister in, is it?'' Sack said angrily.

Herreman, who broke down during his testimony, said it's hard to turn a family member in. ``But under the circumstances (knowing of his sister's involvement in the Hancox slaying), what are you going to do?'' he said to the lawyer.

``Especially when you get money,'' Sack said.

``Money had nothing to do with it,'' said Herreman, whose record of petty crimes was detailed at the trial.

The trial heard that about noon on Aug. 6, 1998, after seeking advice from his father, Herreman and his brother Mike had a three-way call with police. He said that while he loves his sister, the ``heavy weight'' on his shoulders prompted him to call.

Sack later asked Herreman why he had been moved to tears earlier.

``I felt for the Hancox family and for my sister,'' he testified.

The call to police was made two days after Taylor and Cece showed up at midnight at his Carlaw Ave. home.

Taylor told Herreman, her mother, her mother's boyfriend and housemate Thomas DeRosie that Cece had stabbed a man. ``I believe Rosie said that she stabbed him, and the knife went straight in,'' Herreman said.

The two women told him they wanted to steal a car, he said.

They said that when the man was stabbed, he fell over on to the passenger seat of his van, fought and raised himself up, pulled the knife out and looked at them, Herreman said.

Hours later, they learned from television news that the victim was a police officer. The trial has heard Hancox was doing undercover surveillance.

After a news station incorrectly said Hancox had been stabbed in the neck as well as chest, Cece said: ``I swear, I swear, I swear, I never stabbed him in the neck, I only stabbed him in the chest,'' Herreman testified.

He said that he or his mother urged the women to turn themselves in. Herreman testified that his sister replied: ``I'm not going to do life (in prison).''

He later asked his sister to leave. When the two women showed up again Aug. 6, he said, he gave his sister $6 and sent the two off. She then threatened to ``get him,'' he said.

Contents copyright © 1996-1999, The Toronto Star.