Toronto Sun

July 14, 2002

Shot-gun Sharon

James had the audacity to threaten his cheating wife and say he would file for divorce.

By MAX HAINES -- Toronto Sun

Sharon Kinne was a pretty, 20-year-old housewife with two small children. Her nagging husband, James, 25, was a total bore who was forever chastising her for spending too much money.

Sharon longed for a shiny new Ford Thunderbird, just like those driven by some of her more affluent friends. She also would have liked a nice vacation, anything to get away from Independence, Missouri, more famous as the birthplace of Harry S. Truman than anything else.

To break up her monotonous routine, Sharon was carrying on an affair with an old high school friend, John Boldizs, but there had to be something better than sneaking in and out of sleazy motel rooms. To make matters even more dicey, it was apparent that James had discovered that she was less than faithful to him. On March 18, 1960, he had the audacity to threaten her. He even said that, come Monday morning, he would file for divorce.

Now, just hold on there! Sharon had no intention of being stuck with two kids. There had to be a better way. The better way sweet Sharon came up with was simple enough -- she would kill James. Next day, a Saturday, as James slept, Sharon pumped a .22 calibre bullet into his brain. James didn't know what happened. He was deader than last week's catfish.

Report of a shot

When Jackson County Sheriff's deputies arrived on the scene, a Hi-Standard pistol was lying on the bed beside the deceased. Sobbing, Sharon told the officers she had been in the bathroom when she heard her two-year-old daughter, Danna, ask her father, "How does this thing work, Daddy?" She then heard the report of a shot and ran into the bedroom to find Danna standing beside the bed and a so-very-dead James sleeping forever on the bed with a tiny hole in his head.

The deputies conducted an investigation, sort of. They learned that James, a gun aficionado, often left weapons lying around the house. The gun itself had been so heavily oiled that it was impossible to lift any fingerprints from it.

James wasn't comfortably underground before Sharon sashayed down to the insurance company to collect enough cash to get her out of debt with enough left over to purchase that shiny new Thunderbird.

On April 18, 1960, just a month after hubby had gone to his great reward, Sharon decided to have air-conditioning installed in the Thunderbird. While at the garage, she met Walter Jones, a good-looking, smooth-talking salesman. Sharon, who had been deprived of sexual relations for a full month, figured the salesman would fulfill her needs in the boudoir just fine. Before you could say Dr. Ruth, they were doing it at every opportunity.

Events progressed rapidly. Sharon slipped away for a short vacation to Washington, D.C. When she returned in mid-May, she informed Walter that she was pregnant. This news was not greeted with great elation by the car salesman. For one thing, he was already married. For another, it is one thing to have a little on the side, so to speak, but this talk of marriage and babies was far too serious.

Sharon didn't take the rejection well. Two days after Walter informed her he had no intention of marrying her, she called on Walter's wife, Patricia. Sharon told the unsuspecting Patricia that Walter was having an affair with her sister. Folks, that was a barefaced lie. Sharon didn't even have a sister.

The situation heated up. Patricia disappeared. Sharon was the last person seen with the missing woman. She told Walter she had driven his wife home and let her out of her car. Walter was furious and reported the entire series of events to police.

On May 27, Sharon, who was taking an active role in searching for the missing woman, actually found Patricia's body in a lovers' lane just outside Independence. She had been shot four times. To make matters more convoluted, Sharon's old beau, John Boldizs, was with her when she discovered the body. Sharon asked John to tell authorities that he alone had found the body, but under intensive police interrogation, he broke down and told the truth.

The upshot of all this resulted in Sharon being charged with the murder of Patricia Jones. Her husband's death was re-investigated. A second charge of murder was brought against our girl.

Sharon was released on $20,000 bail. On Jan. 16, 1961, she gave birth to a daughter, Maria Christine. Due to her pregnancy, the murder trial didn't commence until June, 1961.

Seen with Patricia

The prosecution could prove that Sharon was the last person seen with Patricia, and that she had found the deceased's body. They really couldn't prove much more. Sharon was found not guilty. Her trial for the murder of her husband didn't go nearly as well. She was found guilty and sentenced to life imprisonment. Sharon successfully appealed the conviction. On March 24, 1964, she once again stood trial for the murder of her husband. It ended in a mistrial. Three months later, they did it all again. The jury failed to agree on a verdict. Sharon had again beaten the system and was once more free on bail.

To pass the time, Sharon hung out with small-time gangsters in Kansas City and became somewhat of a celebrity among the hoodlum set. After all, it isn't every chick who can boast that she has stood trial for murder four times and was still free as the wind.

In the summer of 1964, Sharon met an unsavoury character named Samuel Puglise. That fall, they decided to try their luck in Mexico. One fine day, Sharon, who simply couldn't stay out of trouble, left Samuel in their motel room and picked up one Francisco Ordonez. The pair registered in a motel as husband and wife. Who knows what happened, but we do know that Sharon pumped two bullets directly into Francisco's heart. When she fled, she was intercepted by the motel manager, Enrique Rueda. Sharon shot him, but he managed to hold on to her until police arrived on the scene.

Found the weapon

Puglise was deported. Mexican police, investigating Sharon's latest indiscretion, came up with a rusty .22 calibre Hi-Standard pistol. It proved to be the weapon which had been used to kill Patricia Jones. Having already been acquitted of the Jones killing, Sharon could not be retried for that crime.

After awaiting trial for a full year in a Mexican jail, Sharon was found guilty of murdering Francisco Ordonez and was sentenced to 10 years imprisonment. She appealed, but unlike the U.S. courts, the Mexican appellant court not only upheld her conviction, but increased her sentence to 13 years.

On Dec. 7, 1969, Sharon escaped from Mexico's Ixtapalapa Women's Prison. Now 62 years of age, this amazing criminal, who has stood trial for murder on five different occasions in two countries, has remained at large these past 33 years.

Copyright © 2002, Canoe, a division of Netgraphe Inc.